25 Helpful Scholarships for Transfer Students for 2021
Over one-third of college students end up changing college schools at some point during their academic career. Some students transfer in search of better academics, a Bachelors degree (instead of an Associates), or a more active student atmosphere, while other students want a cheaper college or one a bit closer to home. But there’s a lot to think about when transferring–including how to pay for the new school. That’s why we’ve got you covered with these 25 transfer scholarships.
- How Financial Aid Differs for Transfer Students
- How to Find Scholarships for Transfer Students
- General Transfer Scholarships
- 1. Tau Sigma Honor Society Scholarship
- 2. Pearson Scholarship for Higher Education
- 3. Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship
- Scholarships for Specific Universities
- 4. Lebanon Valley College
- 5. University of Tampa
- 6. Augustana Transfer Scholarships
- 7. Achieving in a Community of Excellence (ACE) Scholarship – Bridgewater College
- 8. Church of the Brethren Scholarship – Bridgewater College
- 9. Transfer Academic Award – Heidelburg University
- 10. Hiram College Transfer Scholarship
- 11. Johnson & Wales University Transfer Scholarship
- 12. Lycoming College Transfer Student Scholarship
- 13. Minnesota State University Moorhead Transfer Scholarships
- 14. New Mexico Tech Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Scholarship
- 15. Niagara University Transfer Scholarship
- 16. Northwood University Transfer Scholarship
- 17. Award for Excellence Transfer Scholarship – Grand Valley State University
- 18. Community College Excellence Scholarship – University of Alabama
- 19. Transfer Achievement Scholarship – University of Kentucky
- 20. Frederick Douglass Scholarship – University of Maryland
- 21. Transfer Academic Achievement Scholarship – Florida International University
- 22. Loyola University Chicago Transfer Merit Scholarship
- 23. Mississippi State University Compass Scholarship
- 24. Presidential Transfer Scholarship – University of Miami
- 25. Pathway Award – Wayne State University
- Ready to make the process easier and apply for scholarships for transfer students?
How Financial Aid Differs for Transfer Students
Usually, when applying for college, institutions automatically consider incoming freshmen for financial aid and merit-based scholarships when submitting their admissions application. Unfortunately, many universities don’t extend that same luxury to transfer students, meaning students entering with college credits are forced to search elsewhere for financial aid.
The process of paying for college can be overwhelming for anyone, but, luckily, the process of finding scholarships for transfer students isn’t impossible.
Get matched to scholarships
See how much money you qualify for. Personalized matches.
Click below to get started.
How to Find Scholarships for Transfer Students
Below, we’ve found 25 great scholarships earmarked for transfer students.
But remember: You might be eligible for other kinds of scholarships too. Many scholarships are more like essay contests, that are open to all sorts of students. So remember not to search too narrowly.
In fact, that’s why, in addition to consulting this list, we recommend using Going Merry or another top scholarship website! You create a free profile, and we’ll match you with all the scholarships you qualify for.
General Transfer Scholarships
The following four scholarships are available to all transfer students, regardless of your state of residency or the university you’re planning to attend. Again, these scholarships are exclusive to transfer students but to open up your search, create an account on Going Merry to see which other scholarships you’re eligible for! Or check out other lists that might be relevant to you, like these scholarships by state.
1. Tau Sigma Honor Society Scholarship
Amount: $500 to $5,000
The Tau Sigma Honor Society is an honor society created exclusively for transfer students. Their main goal is to promote the involvement and leadership of transfer students within their university. Each year, The Tau Sigma Honor Society Scholarship offers awards for transfer students throughout the country ranging from $500 to $5,000.
2. Pearson Scholarship for Higher Education
Any student who is a member of Phi Theta Kappa has a shot at the Pearson Scholarship for Higher Education $5,000 Scholarship, which was created to help students planning to transfer to a four-year university from any community college. The minimum requirements are at least a 3.5 GPA and between 12 and 36 semester hours.
3. Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship is another scholarship for students heading to a four-year institution after attending a community college, the minimum requirement to be eligible for this transfer student scholarship is a 3.5 GPA.
Scholarships for Specific Universities
Some universities welcome transfer students by offering generous scholarships (a few even cover the full cost of tuition!). The best way to know if your future school has scholarships for transfer students is to look over the school’s website.
Here are just a few of the many university-specific transfer scholarships:
4. Lebanon Valley College
Amount: Up to $24,000
Lebanon Valley College offers transfer scholarships ranging from $16,000 to $24,000 each year, based on academic achievements. Good news – you don’t have to worry about sending in a scholarship application. Your admission transfer counselor at the college will ensure your application is considered for merit scholarships.
5. University of Tampa
Amount: $6,000 to $9,000
The University of Tampa offers scholarships for transfer students with 3.0+ GPAs. As a medium-sized private university, UT has a distinguished faculty and approximately 9,304 students from all 50 states and 132 countries. Their 200 academic programs are taught by a faculty as passionate about students’ success as they are about their areas of expertise. And, of course, you can study in warm, sunny Florida!
6. Augustana Transfer Scholarships
Amount: $13,000 to $20,000
When applying to Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois, transfer students are automatically considered for merit-based transfer scholarships. A minimum GPA of 2.7 and 15 transferable credits are required and the awards range from $13,000 to $20,000. The best part? The reward is renewable throughout your time at Augustana.
7. Achieving in a Community of Excellence (ACE) Scholarship – Bridgewater College
Amount: $11,500 to $15,500
With a GPA of at least 3.0 and 12 transferable credits, students are considered for these scholarships at Bridgewater College in Bridgewater, Virginia.
8. Church of the Brethren Scholarship – Bridgewater College
Amount: $2,500 for resident students & $1,500 for commuter students
Students planning to attend Bridgewater College who are also members of the Church of the Brethren can reduce their tuition bill by up to $2,500 per year by applying to the Church of the Brethren Scholarship.
9. Transfer Academic Award – Heidelburg University
Amount: $9,500 to $14,000
Transfer students planning to attend Heidelburg University at the Tiffin, Ohio campus are automatically considered for generous transfer scholarships to help ease the cost of tuition. Candidates must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 and at least 15 transferable semester hours.
10. Hiram College Transfer Scholarship
Amount: Up to $16,000
Hiram College in Hiram, Ohio offers annual transfer scholarship awards between $12,000 and $16,000. These awards may be renewable for up to three years. Preference will be given to students who demonstrate academic excellence. Students who are Phi Theta Kappa members might also be eligible to receive a special scholarship award.
Need more help navigating scholarships?
11. Johnson & Wales University Transfer Scholarship
Amount: Up to $10,000
Providing up to $10,000 towards tuition, the Johnson & Wales University Transfer Scholarship is renewable for up to four years…meaning you can save some serious cash! Applicants are automatically considered on the basis of academic transcripts when submitting the admissions application.
12. Lycoming College Transfer Student Scholarship
Amount: $18,000 to $24,000
Incoming students will be automatically considered for the Lycoming College Transfer Student Scholarship when submitting an admissions application. These scholarships for transfer students are offered to students with at least 24 transferable credit hours and a minimum GPA of 3.0. Plus, they’re renewable for up to four years!
13. Minnesota State University Moorhead Transfer Scholarships
Amount: $500 to $1,000
The Minnesota State University at Moorhead Scholarship welcomes transfer students by offering them $500 to $1,000 in financial aid. To be considered after submitting your admissions application, you’ll need a minimum GPA of 3.0 and at least 24 transferable credit hours.
14. New Mexico Tech Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Scholarship
Renewable for up to three years, the New Mexico Tech Phi Theta Kappa $6,000 Transfer Scholarship is open to members of Phi Theta Kappa planning to transfer to New Mexico Tech. You should have a minimum GPA of 3.5 and 45 transferable credits to be up for consideration with your admissions application.
15. Niagara University Transfer Scholarship
Amount: $8,000 to $15,000
If you’re planning to transfer to Niagara University as a full-time student and have a minimum GPA of 2.5, you’ll automatically be considered for thousands of dollars in financial aid. Plus, the Niagara University Transfer Scholarship is renewable for up to three years!
Want to apply for even more transfer student scholarships?
16. Northwood University Transfer Scholarship
Amount: $4,000 to $9,000
Northwood University provides a variety of scholarships for transfer students…and all of them come with the option to renew each year! Students with a GPA of at least 2.7 will be considered with their admissions application, but keep in mind that some scholarships have limited funds, so not all eligible students will receive an award.
17. Award for Excellence Transfer Scholarship – Grand Valley State University
Renewable for up to two years, the Award for Excellence Transfer Scholarship is available to students applying to Grand Valley State University after studying at any community college in Michigan. If your GPA is at least 2.5, you’ll be automatically considered with your admissions application.
18. Community College Excellence Scholarship – University of Alabama
Amount: Full Tuition
Paying for college just got much less stressful with this full-tuition Community College Excellence Scholarship from the University of Alabama. To be automatically considered, students should have at least a 3.5 GPA and be transferring from a community college.
19. Transfer Achievement Scholarship – University of Kentucky
Available to non-residents of Kentucky who are transferring to the University of Kentucky, this $4,000 Transfer Achievement Scholarship is awarded to students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and at least 24 transferable credit hours. Candidates are automatically considered upon submission of an admissions application.
Loving these scholarships, but need help applying for your government financial aid? We can help you fill out your FAFSA and state aid.
20. Frederick Douglass Scholarship – University of Maryland
Amount: Full or partial tuition
Each year, the University of Maryland awards several full-tuition and multiple partial-tuition Frederick Douglas Scholarships for transfer students. All you need is a minimum GPA of 3.5 and an Associate’s degree from a Maryland community college.
21. Transfer Academic Achievement Scholarship – Florida International University
Amount: 50% of tuition and fees
If getting good grades is your thing and you plan to transfer to Florida International University, this Transfer Academic Achievement Scholarship will cover 50% of your tuition and fees. To get this highly-competitive award, you’ll need a minimum of 60 transferable credit hours or an Associate’s degree, a 4.0 GPA, two letters of recommendation, and a killer essay.
22. Loyola University Chicago Transfer Merit Scholarship
Amount: $11,000 to $19,000
Based on academic performance, transfer students applying to Loyola University are automatically considered for up to $19,000 in Transfer Merit Scholarships upon the submission of their admissions application.
23. Mississippi State University Compass Scholarship
With at least 48 hours of transferable credits and a 3.5 or higher GPA, you’ll be eligible for this transfer scholarship at Mississippi State University.
24. Presidential Transfer Scholarship – University of Miami
Amount: $5,000 to $16,000
Transfer students are automatically considered for the Presidental Transfer Scholarship when they submit their admissions application to the University of Miami. The minimum requirement is a GPA of 3.75, but not all eligible students will receive an award.
25. Pathway Award – Wayne State University
Requiring a separate application, the Pathway Award at Wayne State University is available to students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and at least 24 transferable credit hours.
Ready to make the process easier and apply for scholarships for transfer students?
We’re on your side when it comes to navigating scholarships and paying for college. That’s why we created Going Merry!
You can search and apply for scholarships with us as your one-stop shop for all things scholarships. Just sign up and create your free profile, see what we match you with, and click apply! It’s that easy.
- 7 Outstanding Oregon Scholarships for 2021 - November 6, 2020
- Great Scholarships for Students in Ohio for 2021 - November 4, 2020
- 38 Weird Scholarships for Unique Students in 2023 - August 2, 2020